Welcome to the twenty-third installment of the Haunted Montreal Blog! Released on the 13th of every month, the March 2017 edition focuses on research we are carrying out into Montreal’s old General Hospital, now an allegedly haunted residence for the elderly. Haunted Montreal will begin offering public tours again in May, 2017. Haunted Montreal is also planning a special Jane’s Walk that examines paranormal activities in Chinatown.

HAUNTED RESEARCH

Hundreds of elderly people live in a large, ramshackle building that sits on the corner of René Lévesque Boulevard and Saint Dominique Streets. Once Montreal’s General Hospital, the building is now called the Paul-Émile-Léger CHSLD, a government-funded home for the elderly in the north-east corner of Montreal’s Chinatown.

According to various sources, strange and possibly haunted activity is not uncommon in the establishment. Disturbing thoughts and visions seem to come out of nowhere. Some people report hallucinations. There are also sightings of a ghostly woman in an antique white dress and hat, not to mention a mysterious apparition who has been spotted sitting on the high rooftop, staring down at people on the street below.

Could these hauntings be related to the old Montreal General Hospital, which operated on the site from 1822-1953, or might they derive from an abuse scandal that rocked the establishment during the 1990s, when it was called Saint-Charles-Borromée Hospital?

A man who wishes to remain anonymous relayed to Haunted Montreal a strange experience he had in the old General Hospital during the early 1990s. He said: “Back in the early 90s, my uncle had to be placed in a long term care facility because he was beginning to lose control of his body and mind. He had just turned 81. His doctor recommended the Saint-Charles Borromé Hospital, which was basically an old folks’ home in the former Montreal General Hospital. The location was ideal. At the time I lived downtown so could visit him almost every day.”

He continued: “My uncle and I had always been very close. In fact, he helped my mother raise me after my father abandoned the family when I was just a baby. We placed him in the long term care facility reluctantly, but he didn’t seem to mind one bit. Ever the optimist, he suggested that he’d probably make a ton of new friends.”

The nephew visited his uncle every day and after a few weeks he began to notice strange behavior. It was as though his uncle was being evasive or trying to hide something. The man wasn’t sure if this was related to his mental deterioration or something else.

According to the nephew, “It was weird. Whenever I asked him if he had met anyone interesting, he would clam up. When I asked him about the other residents and the staff members, he would often shrug and not reveal any information, which was unlike him in his younger years. I attributed it to his dementia. Then one day, out of the blue, he told me about a woman who he claimed would visit him at night. He described her as wearing a small white hat of some sort and an antique white dress with puffy sleeves. It sounded really unusual, so I chalked it up to a dream.”

However, the man’s uncle seemed to be getting more and more agitated by the day. He claimed that disturbing thoughts would enter his mind for no apparent reason. He complained that he would often have terrifying nightmares where an evil apparition instructed him to act in cruel ways.

He mentioned that the woman in the antique white dress would often wake him up to help him calm him down. The nephew thought that his uncle was probably beginning to lose his grip on reality with his advanced age. Regardless, he inquired to staff members about a possible woman wearing an antique white dress. The staff claimed that there was no such person in the hospital at night and that it was just his uncle’s imagination running wild.

Then one day something inexplicable happened. The nephew, being a curious fellow, was exploring the nooks and crannies of the hospital before visiting his uncle. Finding himself in an empty room, he was suddenly overwhelmed by a sweet, distinctive, penetrating odour. A cloud of fog began appearing to him and, as he inhaled, he began to hallucinate. The linoleum floor had somehow transformed into wood! Suddenly, he saw blood inexplicably pooling around his feet.

As the smell got stronger, he tried to run away, but his foot slipped in the bloody pool and he fell to the ground. As he hit the floor in a panic, suddenly everything reverted back to normal – no blood pooling, no wooden floor and no weird odour.

Disturbed, he went to his uncle’s room for the visit. On that day, the uncle was more agitated than ever. He told his nephew that he wanted to leave the hospital. According to the nephew: “Despite being frail, he was adamant. He told me that the woman in the antique white dress had told him to move to another facility before it was too late. My uncle was almost in tears, and following the bizarre experience I had just had, I was resolved to get him the hell out of there.”

Two weeks later, in early 1993, his uncle left the hospital and moved into a private residence, where he seemed much happier and more at ease. The nephew was pleased with the move despite the additional costs because his uncle reverted back to his usual, more relaxed state of being. He had no more disturbing nightmares and the nephew had no more hallucinations. The mysterious woman in the antique white dress with the little hat was never mentioned again.

The man may have gotten his uncle out of the Saint-Charles Borromé Hospital just in the nick of time. Before examining why, it is worthwhile to look at the history of the building.

The Montreal General Hospital was probably one of the very few hospitals that was born out of bloodshed. During its planning stages in the early 1800s, there was a lot of animosity among stakeholders. Two gentlemen in particular, Dr. William Caldwell and Member of Parliament Michael O’Sullivan, were constantly at odds with each other. Dr. Caldwell was a Protestant and O’Sullivan a Catholic, two religions that were often in conflict.

At the time, there was a bug-infested hospital on Craig Street that was unable to meet the needs of Montrealers and sick immigrants. Philanthropists like brewer John Molson stepped up to help fund the building of a new hospital.

When authorities proposed staffing it with nurses instead of nuns, O’Sullivan actively opposed it in the legislature. He suggested the nurses would be too unprofessional compared with nuns and that medical students would be allowed to conduct experiments on the dead bodies of the patients.

Dr. Caldwell was outraged, so wrote an anonymous letter criticizing O’Sullivan. When O’Sullivan discovered who had written it, he challenged Dr. Caldwell to a duel in Pointe Claire, far away from prying eyes, as was the tradition during the era. The location was Windmill Point, a 0.81-hectare spit of land graced with a windmill that projects into the St. Lawrence River.

The two men met at sunrise on Saturday April 11, 1819. They stood twenty long paces apart with loaded pistols, as was the custom. When the signal was given, they fired their weapons at each other. After exchanging four shots of 28-gram lead balls and missing, O’Sullivan insisted on continuing. On the fifth round, both gentlemen were hit. Dr. Caldwell was hit in the right arm and O’Sullivan was shot in the right side of his chest, just missing his heart. The bullet lodged into his spine. Both men survived what may have been the longest duel in Montreal’s history.

A decision was finally made to build the hospital on what was then Dorchester Street, today’s René Lévesque Boulevard. On June 6, 1821, the cornerstone of the new Montreal General Hospital was laid. Designed by architect Thomas Phillips, the hospital was built two stories high with an attic and a basement. Perched atop the roof was a cupola. It opened the following year on May 3, 1822.

In the early days of its operation, the hospital had many problems like low wages, a high turnover rate and a lack of educated nurses. Medical treatments were often untested and toxic and surgery was very dangerous because of the constant threat of fatal infection. Only about 25 surgeries per year were performed at first due to the risk of death. Patients were also given a four to eight ounce bottle of whisky or brandy upon admission to help them relax, sometimes leading both patients and staff to get inebriated in the hospital. In one case, a blind man offered a hospital-mate his bottle of whiskey from his bedside, but mistakenly handed him a bottle of laudanum, a tincture of opium. After taking a deep swill, the man overdosed. He was dead within minutes.

As the years passed, conditions began to improve and the hospital was enlarged several times. New wings were added, such as the Richardson Wing in 1868 and the Moreland Wing in 1875. In 1894, a separate Pathology Building was erected. It was just behind the part of the hospital with the dome, which had been converted into a smallpox isolation tower.

Many prominent medical personnel worked in the Montreal General Hospital over the years. Sir William Osler, who pioneered studies in Pathology, conducted autopsies on the patients who had succumbed to their illnesses or injuries. Wesley Bourne became world-famous after he pioneered techniques in anesthesiology at the hospital and introduced cocaine to patients. Sir Thomas George Roddick performed numerous amputations, while John McCrae, who would go on to pen In Flanders fields during World War I, worked as a physician at the Montreal General Hospital and published manuscripts about typhoid and inflammatory disease.

Despite being enlarged several times to a height of 9 floors, in the early 1950s a decision was made to relocate the hospital to a larger site on the western slope of Mount Royal. In 1956, patients were moved to the new hospital on Cedar Avenue, where it still exists today as a sprawling medical complex.

The old Montreal General Hospital was converted into a senior’s home. In 1968 it was transformed into the Saint-Charles-Borromée Hospital for long term care and adult rehabilitation. For decades the hospital operated without any major incidents, but in 1993, rumours began swirling that some of the patients at Saint-Charles-Borromée Hospital were being mistreated. Residents complained that some of staff members were being verbally and psychologically abusive towards them.

In 1999, a class action lawsuit detailing hundreds of cases of abuse was launched against Saint-Charles Borromée hospital. At first, the story was under the radar, but in 2003 family members of a patient there began secretly recording staff. They were able to verify ongoing verbal and psychological abuse against their relative. With this new evidence, the scandal exploded and the media began paying close attention.

During 90 hours of taped recordings, evidence emerged of the staff mistreating their relative, a 51-year-old woman who was left severely disabled after a car accident when she was just 18 years old. They called her a “pig,” told her to “shut up” on a regular basis, refused to bring her water and teased the woman relentlessly by telling her a perverted man was fondling himself outside of her window.

The tapes triggered then-health minister Philippe Couillard to call a provincial inquiry into the conditions inside Quebec’s nursing homes.

On November 26, 2003, the embattled hospital director, Léon Lafleur, was found dead in a hotel room in St-Hyacinthe, 50 kilometers north-east of Montreal. He had committed suicide after writing a letter blaming the government for his situation.

Following the inquiry, conditions improved and the building was re-named Centre d’hébergement Paul-Émile-Léger, perhaps in an effort to distance it from the scandal. 13 years after the launch of the lawsuit, the victims won $8.5 million.

Returning to the uncle who had paranormal encounters in the hospital, it would appear that his nephew got him out mere weeks before the abuse started happening. Who could the ghostly woman in the white dress and hat be who warned him to leave?

One theory is that she is the ghost of Nora Gertrude Elizabeth Livingston, an educated nurse from New York City. In 1890 she agreed to accept a post at the Montreal General Hospital if two conditions were met. She demanded that nurses would no longer have to do the housekeeping and that she could hire experienced personnel to open a school for Nursing. Her requests were granted. After promptly cleaning up the wards at and rearranging staff duties, Nora Livingston welcomed her first students on April 1, 1890. She was regarded as both strict and disciplined, but she took excellent care of her charges.

While this helps shed light on who the ghostly woman might be, it does little to explain the nephew’s bizarre and bloody hallucination. One possible theory is related to the fact that the Montreal General Hospital was one of the first to embrace the field of modern pathology.

Modern pathology, a controversial new sub-specialty of medicine, came into being during the second half of the 1800s. With the invention of the microscope, doctors could study of microbiology in intimate detail. The study of pathology was controversial because it involved “morbid anatomy.”

In order to try and learn more about diseases, pathologists conducted detailed examinations of the dead patients, including the dissection of the corpse. Dr. William Osler accepted the first Pathology position at the hospital in 1876. The autopsy room was a small, dingy chamber in the basement with a wooden autopsy table. Dr. Osler worked tirelessly in the dimly-lit room, which was lit by an oil lamp. Patients on the floors above often complained about the foul stench that emanated from this terrifying chamber. Remarkably, Dr. Osler conducted a total of 780 autopsies during his first 10 years at the Montreal General Hospital.

Concerning the strange smell the nephew encountered, it may have been phenol, which was introduced as an antiseptic during the 1870s by Dr. Roddick. Previously, the first operating room was located under the hospital’s cupola. It had a wooden floor and operating table that were encrusted with dried blood that was rarely scrubbed clean. Doctors usually wore old frock coats, which would become soaked with blood during surgeries and autopsies. At first, no attempts were made to sterilize the operating room, autopsy room or instruments.

Dr. Roddick introduced phenol (carbolic acid) as a disinfectant in the operating room in the form of a cloud of gas. A gallon tank of water was heated with an alcohol flame and a bottle of phenol was attached to the system. The machine would create a cloud of antiseptic fog during surgeries.

The powerful technique saw the mortality rate from his amputations drop from 80% to less than 4%.

Concerning the hallucination, with the appearance of the otherworldly phenol fog and pool of blood, could the nephew have stumbled across some sort of paranormal autopsy or surgery?

Finally, in the autumn of 2016, the establishment was visited by a medium who immediately picked up signs that the building was haunted. Upon closer examination, she noticed the ghost of a man perched high atop the roof, staring down at the people on the street below. The medium was unable to describe him in detail. Who he is and why he sits on the roof are questions that still remain unanswered at the time of this writing.

While the uncle would pass away peacefully a decade later, his nephew would never forget the strange experiences he had in the old Montreal General Hospital, which left a lasting impression on him. Today, it is unknown if these hauntings continue at what is now the Paul-Émile-Léger CHSLD.

COMPANY NEWS

Haunted Montreal is now in winter mode, meaning there will be no more public tours until May, 2017. Private tours are still available for groups of 10 or more people, subject to the availability of our actors and weather conditions.

As we approach the ghost tour season, We are pleased to announce that we are upgrading our website and blog to make them more manageable and user-friendly.

We are also planning a Jane’s Walk called Haunted Chinatown, which will explore some of the hauntings and mysteries in Montreal’s historic Chinatown neighborhood. This walk will be offered in early May and will be free to attend for those who reserve spots.

Lastly, we are pleased to announce some good news for St. Patrick’s Day. Donovan King, founder of Haunted Montreal, has created a new company called Irish Montreal Excursions, which leads visits to Irish sites of interest in the city of Montreal and beyond.

Irish Montreal Excursions is currently offering two walking tours:

The Irish Famine in Montreal Walking Tour (in English) 

This walking tour explores the impact of the Irish Famine on Montreal in 1847. This excursion visits Montreal Famine sites, including forgotten cemeteries, religious institutions, the Lachine Canal, the ruins of a church and Montreal’s infamous Black Rock. To be revealed: plans by the Irish Monument Park Foundation to rescue a Famine cemetery from industrial forces.

When: Saturday, March 18 @ 9 a.m. (120 minutes)

Cost: $20 (payable in cash upon arrival). To reserve tickets please email irishmontrealexcursions@gmail.com

Where: This excursion starts in front of Pointe-à-Callière Museum (350 Place Royale)
and ends at the Black Rock on Bridge Street.

Irish History in Montreal Walking Tour (in English) 

This walking tour, which starts at the Old Dublin Pub, explores the history of the Irish in Montreal. This excursion visits historic Montreal Irish sites, including churches, watering holes, the ruins of a refuge and forgotten areas such as Little Dublin and Paper Hill. To be revealed: the Bloomsday connection between James Joyce’s Ulysses and Montreal!

When: Sunday, March 26 @ 1 p.m. (120 minutes)

Cost: $20 (payable in cash upon arrival).  To reserve tickets please email irishmontrealexcursions@gmail.com

Where: This excursion starts in front of Old Dublin Pub (636 Cathcart Street) and ends at Notre-Dame-de-Bonsecours Church (400 St Paul Street E.).

Irish Montreal Excursions is planning to develop other excursions in the future, such as Irish pub crawls, sporting events, cemetery visits and bus tours to Irish sites outside of Montreal.

We will also be announcing another surprise in next month’s newsletter!

Lastly, a big thank you to all of our clients who attended a Haunted Montreal ghost walk during the 2016 season! If you enjoyed the experience, we encourage you to write a review on our Tripadvisor page, something that helps Haunted Montreal to market its tours. Lastly, if you would like to receive the Haunted Montreal Blog on the 13th of every month, please sign up to our mailing list.

Coming up on April 13: Montreal’s Invisible Pets

Believe it or not, Montreal is rumoured to be home to at least two invisible pets, a cat and a dog. In the early 1970s, Brian and Louise Grey and their four children experienced an invisible cat in their Montreal home. Remarkably, the cat could be heard and felt, but it was never seen. In another story, a young boy in the Montreal suburb of Roxboro adopted what his parents assumed was an imaginary friend, who the boy called “Duke.” The boy would get upset if his parents tried to sit on the couch when “Duke” was there. The parents humored him at first, chalking it up to an overactive imagination. However, they got the shock of their lives when a neighbor informed them that the previous owner had died in a house fire along with her pet dog. The dead dog’s name was “Duke.” There is no dispute that invisible pets feature prominently in Montreal’s haunted folklore. The only question is why?

Donovan King is a historian, teacher and professional actor. As the founder of Haunted Montreal, he combines his skills to create the best possible Montreal ghost stories, in both writing and theatrical performance. King holds a DEC (Professional Theatre Acting, John Abbot College), BFA (Drama-in-Education, Concordia), B.Ed (History and English Teaching, McGill) and MFA (Theatre Studies, University of Calgary). He is presently studying to obtain an ACS (Montreal Tourist Guide, Institut de tourisme et d’hôtellerie du Québec).

***

Blogue #23 de Montréal hanté: L’ancien hôpital général de
Montréal

Bienvenue au vingt-troisième article du blogue de
Montréal hanté ! Nos articles paraissent les 13 de chaque mois. Dans l’édition
de mars 2017, nous focalisons notre recherche sur l’ancien hôpital général de
Montréal, aujourd’hui une résidence pour personnes âgées supposément hantée.
Montréal hanté offrira toujours des visites guidées en mai 2017. Nous planifions
également une Jane’s Walk sur l’activité paranormale dans le quartier chinois.

RECHERCHE DU PARANORMAL

Des centaines de personnes âgées vivent dans un grand
bâtiment délabré qui sied à l’angle des rues René-Lévesque et Saint-Dominique.
Autrefois l’hôpital général de Montréal, le bâtiment porte aujourd’hui le nom
de CHSLD Paul-Émile-Léger, une maison subventionnée par le gouvernement dans le
nord-est du quartier chinois de Montréal.
Selon des sources diverses d’étranges manifestations,
peut-être même paranormales, n’y sont pas rares. Des visions et des pensées
troublantes semblent fuser de nulle part. Certains ont rapporté des
hallucinations. Il y a aussi des visions d’une femme spectrale vêtue d’une robe
et d’un chapeau anciens, sans mentionner l’apparition mystérieuse qui a été vue
assise sur le toit élevé, regardant les gens sur la rue en bas.
Ces phénomènes pourraient-ils être liés au site de
l’hôpital général de Montréal, dont l’activité s’étendit de 1822 à 1953, ou
seraient-ils en lien avec le scandal des agressions qui secoua l’établissement
au cours des année 1990 quand c’était encore l’hôpital Saint-Charles-Borromée ?
Un homme — qui veut rester anonyme — nous confia qu’il
vécut une étrange expérience dans le vieil hôpital général au début des années
1990. Il dit : « À l’époque, mon oncle avait dû être placé dans un
établissement de soins à longue durée dû à une perte de maitrise de son corps
et de son esprit. Il venait d’avoir 81 ans. Son médecin avait recommandé
l’hôpital Saint-Charles-Borromé, qui était en somme un foyer pour l’âge d’or
dans l’ancien hôpital général de Montréal. L’endroit était idéal. Dans ce
temps-là, je vivais au centre-ville, donc je pouvais le visiter presqu’à tous
les jours. »
Il continua : « Mon oncle et moi avions toujours été
proches. En fait, il a aidé ma mère à m’élever après que mon père avait
abandonné la famille quand j’étais nourrisson. On l’a placé, à contrecoeur,
dans un établissement de soins de longue durée, sans qu’il s’en plaignît.
Toujours optimiste, il avait suggéré qu’il se ferait peut-être de nouveaux
amis. »
Le neveu visitait son oncle tous les jours, et après
quelques semaines il remarqua un comportement étrange. C’était comme si son oncle fuyait ou tentait de cacher
quelque chose. L’homme n’était pas certain si c’était relié à la détérioration
mentale ou à autre chose.
Selon le neveu : « C’était bizarre. Quand je lui
demandais s’il avait rencontré quelqu’un d’intéressant, il se taisait. Et quand
je lui demandais à propos des autres résidents et du personnel, il haussait les
épaules et n’en disait rien, ce qui n’était pas comme lui, plus jeune.
J’attribuais ça à la démence ; puis, un jour, de nulle part, il m’a sorti
qu’une femme le visitait la nuit. Il me l’a décrite comme vêtue d’un chapeau
blanc et d’une sorte de robe ancienne avec des manches bouffies. Ça m’a semblé
vraiment inhabituel, alors je l’ai marqué comme un rêve. »
Toutefois, l’oncle semblait s’agiter de plus en plus à
chaque jour. Il affirma que des pensées dérangeantes entraient dans son esprit
sans aucune raison. Il se plaignait qu’il avait souvent des cauchemars
terrifiants dans lesquels une apparition malveillante lui ordonnait d’agir de
façon cruelle.
Il mentionna que la femme dans la robe ancienne blanche
le réveillait souvent pour l’aider à se calmer. Le neveu pensa que son oncle
commençait peut-être à perdre son sens de la réalité à son âge avancée.
N’importe, il s’informa auprès du personnel à propos d’une prétendue femme
vêtue d’une robe ancienne blanche. On lui répondit qu’il n’y avait pas une
telle personne la nuit à l’hôpital et que c’était seulement la folle
imagination de son oncle.
Puis un jour quelque chose d’inexplicable se produisit.
Le neveu, étant un gars curieux, explorait les coins de l’hôpital avant d’aller
visiter son oncle. Se trouvant dans une chambre vide, il fut soudainement
envahi par une odeur délicate, pénétrante et distincte. Un nuage lui
apparut, et, pendant qu’il inspirait, il se mit à halluciner. Le plancher de
linoléum s’était transformé en quelque sorte en bois. Soudain,
inexplicablement, il vit du sang s’épancher autour de ses pieds.
Cependant que l’odeur s’intensifia, il tenta de s’enfuir,
mais il glissa dans la flaque de sang et tomba par terre. Paniqué, en frappant
le sol, il vit aussitôt tout redevenir à la normale — ni sang, ni plancher de
bois, ni odeur bizarre.
Dérangé, il visita son oncle dans sa chambre. Ce jour-là,
l’oncle, qui était plus agité que jamais, lui dit qu’il voulait quitter
l’hôpital. Et selon le neveu : « Malgré sa fragilité, il a été catégorique. Il
m’a dit que la femme dans la robe ancienne blanche l’avait prévenu de
s’installer ailleurs avant que ce ne soit trop tard. Mon oncle était presque en
larmes, et suivant l’expérience étrange que je venais d’avoir, j’étais résolu
de l’en sortir au plus sacrant ! »
Deux semaines plus tard, début 1993, son oncle quitta
l’hôpital pour un résidence privée, là où il sembla plus heureux et à l’aise.
Le neveu fut satisfait du changement malgré les coûts additionnels, car son
oncle était revenu à son état habituel plus calme : ses cauchemars avaient
cessé ; même le neveu n’avait plus d’hallucinations. La mystérieuse femme à la
robe ancienne et au chapeau blancs n’a plus jamais été mentionnée.
En sortant son oncle de l’hôpital Saint-Charles-Borromé,
l’homme a peut-être sauvé son oncle juste à temps. Avant d’en examiner le pourquoi, ça vaut la peine d’en
savoir plus sur l’histoire du bâtiment.
L’hôpital général de Montréal fut probablement l’un des
rares hôpitaux fondé dans l’effusion de sang. Durant sa phase de planification,
au début des années 1800, il y eut beaucoup d’animosité entre ses parties
prenantes.
Deux gentilshommes en particulier, le Dr. William
Caldwell et Micheal O’Sullivan, membre du Parlement, se disputaient
constamment. Le Dr. Caldwell était protestant et O’Sullivan catholique : deux
religions souvent en conflit.
À l’époque, il se trouvait un hôpital infesté d’insectes
sur la rue Craig, incapable de combler les besoins des Montréalais et des
immigrants malades. Des philanthropes, comme le brasseur John Molson, aida le
premier à subventionner le nouvel hôpital.
Quand les responsables proposèrent d’y faire oeuvrer des
infirmières à la place des soeurs, O’Sullivan opposa fermement la législature.
Il suggéra que les laïques manqueraient de professionnalisme comparées aux
soeurs, et que les étudiants en médecine auraient le droit de mener des expériments sur les patients morts.
Outragé, le Dr. Caldwell écrivit une lettre anonyme
critiquant O’Sullivan. Quand ce dernier découvrit qui l’avait écrite, il défia
le Dr. Caldwell à un duel à Pointe Claire, loin des badauds, comme le voulait
la tradition à l’époque. L’endroit choisi fut Windmill Point, un terrain de
0.81 hectare sur lequel un moulin donne sur le fleuve Saint-Laurent.
Les deux hommes s’affrontèrent à l’aube du samedi 11
avril 1819. À vingt pas l’un de l’autre avec des pistolets chargés, ils se tinrent
comme de coutume. Quand le signal fut donné, ils se tirèrent dessus. Après
s’être manqués avec un échange de quatre plombs de .28, O’Sullivan insista
qu’ils continuassent. Au cinquième coup, les deux hommes furent atteints : le
Dr. Caldwell au bras droit et O’Sullivan au côté droit du torse, manquant de
près son coeur. La balle se logea dans sa colonne. Tous deux survécurent à ce
qui a peut-être été le plus long duel de l’histoire de Montréal.
La décision fut prise enfin de bâtir l’hôpital sur ce qui
était la rue Dorchester, aujourd’hui le boulevard René-Lévesque. Le 6 juin
1821, la pierre angulaire du nouvel hôpital général de Montréal fut posée.
Conçu par l’architecte Thomas Phillips, l’hôpital fut bâti sur deux étages avec
sous-sol et grenier. Perché sur le toit était une coupole. Il ouvrit ses portes
l’année suivante, le 3 mai 1822.
Dès ses débuts, l’hôpital avait eu plusieurs problèmes
liés aux bas salaires, au manque d’infirmières et au taux élevé de rotation
d’employés. Les soins médicaux étaient peu éprouvés, voire souvent toxiques, et
la chirurgie très dangereuse à cause d’une menace constante d’injection létale.
Seulement 25 opérations se faisaient par jour dû au risque de mort. Dès
l’admission, les patients recevaient une bouteille de whisky ou de brandi,
quatre ou huit onces, pour les aider à relaxer ; parfois ils s’enivraient avec
le personnel de l’hôpital. Dans un cas, un aveugle offrit à un copain malade
une bouteille de whisky sur son chevet, mais lui donna plutôt une bouteille de laudanum,
une teinture d’opium. Après une bonne gorgée, l’homme sur-dosa et mourut peu de
temps après.
Au fil des ans, ses conditions s’étant améliorées,
l’hôpital fut élargi plusieurs fois. On ajouta d’autres ailes comme celle de
Richardson en 1868, et celle de Moreland en 1875. En 1894, un bâtiment séparé
fut créé pour la Pathologie juste derrière la partie de l’hôpital avec le dôme,
qui avait été convertie en tour d’isolement pour les variolés.
Plusieurs membres en vue du personnel médical ont oeuvré
à l’hôpital général au fil des ans. Sir William Osler, qui a fondé les études
en Pathologie, a pratiqué des autopsies sur des patients qui avaient succombé à
leur maladie ou à leurs blessures. Wesley Bourne devint mondialement connu pour
les techniques de base en anesthésiologie à l’hôpital et pour avoir initié des
patients à la cocaïne. Sir Thomas George Roddick pratiqua plusieurs
amputations, et John McCrae, qui allait devenir l’auteur de In Flanders Fields
(Sur les champs de Flanders) durant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, y travailla
comme médecin, publiant des manuscrits sur les maladies inflammatoires et
typhiques.
Même s’il a été agrandi maintes fois jusqu’à 9 étages,
une décision prise au début des 1950 fit déménager l’hôpital vers un site plus
grand sur les pentes ouest du Mont Royal. En 1956, les patients furent placés
dans un nouvel hôpital sur l’avenue Cedar, où il existe à ce jour comme
complexe médical rhizomateux.
Le vieil hôpital général de Montréal, converti en maison
pour l’âge d’or, fut transformé en l’hôpital Saint Charles-Borromé, en 1968,
pour la réhabilitation des adultes et les soins de longue durée. Sur des
décennies, l’hôpital fonctionna sans incidents majeurs, mais en 1993, les
rumeurs spiralaient que certains patients de l’hôpital subissaient de mauvais
traitements. Des résidents s’étaient plaints qu’ils se faisaient verbalement et psychologiquement agressés par certains membres du
personnel.
En 1999, un procès d’action collective détaillant des
centaines de cas d’abus frappait l’hôpital Saint-Charles Borromé. En premier,
l’histoire passait sous le radar, mais en 2003 les membres de la famille d’un
patient commencèrent à enregistrer le personnel. Ils furent capables de
vérifier la réalité des agressions de leur proche. Avec cette nouvelle preuve,
le scandal explosa et les médias y prêtèrent plus d’attention.
En 90 heures d’enregistrements, la preuve accusait le
personnel de maltraitance envers leur proche, une femme de 51 ans, sérieusement
handicapée à la suite d’un accident de voiture à 18 ans. Ils l’appelaient «
truie », lui disaient « ferme-là » régulièrement, refusaient de lui apporter de
l’eau et se moquaient d’elle sans arrêt en lui disant qu’un homme pervers se
touchait à l’extérieur de sa fenêtre. Les cassettes ont pressé Philippe Couillard,
le ministre de la santé à l’époque, de susciter une enquête provinciale sur les
conditions de vie à l’intérieur des maisons de retraite du Québec.
Le 26 novembre 2003, Léon Lafleur, le directeur harcelé
de l’hôpital, fut trouvé mort dans une chambre d’hôtel à Saint-Hyacinthe, 50
kilomètres au nord-est de Montréal. Il s’était suicidé après avoir écrit une
lettre blâmant le gouvernement pour sa situation.
Suivant l’enquête, les
conditions de vie s’améliorèrent et le bâtiment fut renommé le Centre
d’hébergement Paul-Émile-Léger, peut-être pour se distancier du scandal. 13 ans après le lancement de la poursuite, les victimes ont remporté 8,5 millions de dollars.
Revenons à l’oncle qui fit une rencontre paranormale à
l’hôpital, il semblerait que son neveu l’eût sorti à peine quelques semaines
avant le début des agressions. Qui donc put être la femme dans la robe et le
chapeau blancs qui l’avertit de partir ?
Une théorie suggère le fantôme de Nora Gertrude Elizabeth
Livingston, une infirmière éduquée de New York.
En 1890, elle accepta l’emploi à l’hôpital général de
Montréal à deux conditions. Elle demanda que les infirmières n’eussent plus à
s’occuper du ménage et qu’elle pût embaucher un personnel compétant pour ouvrir
une école d’infirmières. Sa demande lui fut octroyée. Après avoir vite nettoyé
les services et réarrangé les fonctions du personnel, Nora Livingston
accueillit les premiers étudiants le 1 avril 1890. Elle fut perçue comme étant
stricte et disciplinée, mais elle prit grand soin de ses effectifs.
Bien que cela nous éclaire sur l’identité possible du
fantôme, il reste encore à expliquer l’étrange et sanglante hallucination du
neveu. Une théorie possible s’appuierait sur le fait que l’hôpital fut l’un des
premiers à explorer le champ de la pathologie moderne.
La pathologie moderne, une sous-spécialité controversée
de la médecine, vit le jour durant la seconde moitié des 1880. Avec l’invention
du microscope, les médecins pouvaient étudier la microbiologie en plus de
détails.
L’étude de la pathologie était controversée, car elle
impliquait « l’anatomie morbide ». Pour essayer alors d’en apprendre plus sur
les maladies, les pathologistes firent des observations détaillées des patients
morts, impliquant la dissection du corps.
Le Dr. William Osler accepta le
premier poste de pathologiste à l’hôpital, en 1876. La salle d’autopsie était
une petite chambre défraichie dans le sous-sol avec une table en bois. Le Dr. Osler
oeuvra sans relâche dans cette salle sombre, illuminée par une lampe à huile.
Les patients des étages supérieurs se plaignaient souvent de la pestilence qui
s’épandait de la salle terrifiante. Remarquablement, le Dr. Osler pratiqua un
total de 780 autopsies durant sa première décennie à l’hôpital.
Au sujet de l’étrange odeur que le neveu avait sentie,
ç’avait peut-être été du phénol, introduit comme antiseptique au cours des 1870 par le Dr. Roddick.
Auparavant la première salle d’opération se situait sous la coupole de
l’hôpital, avec un plancher de bois et une table d’opération, qui étaient
tachés de sang et rarement lavés. Les médecins portaient régulièrement de
vieilles redingotes, qui se trempaient de sang durant les opérations et les
autopsies. Du coup, aucune tentative n’a été faite pour stériliser la salle et
ses instruments.
Dans la salle d’opération le D. Roddick présenta le
phénol (l’acide phénique) en tant que désinfectant sous forme de nuage gazeux.
Avec une citerne d’un gallon d’eau chauffée sur un brûleur d’alcool et un
flacon de phénol attachée au système, la machine créait un nuage antiseptique
lors des opérations.
La technique puissante fit chuter le taux des amputations
mortelles de 80% à moins de 4 %.
Au sujet des hallucinations, avec l’apparence
d’outre-mort du nuage de phénol et la flaque de sang, le neveu peut-il être
tombé sur quelque chirurgie ou autopsie paranormale ?
Enfin, à l’automne 2016, l’établissement fut visité par
une médium qui capta immédiatement les signes que le bâtiment était hanté. En
examinant de plus près, elle remarqua le fantôme d’un homme perché haut sur le
toit, fixant les gens sur la rue plus bas. La médium fut incapable de le
décrire en détail. La raison de sa présence et son identité demeurent sans
réponse au moment où s’écrivent ces lignes.
Bien que son oncle trépassât en paix une décennie plus
tard, le neveu n’oubliera jamais les expériences étranges qu’il a vécues à
l’ancien hôpital général de Montréal, qui lui ont laissé une impression
durable. Aujourd’hui, c’est encore inconnu si ces phénomènes continuent au tout
récent CHSLD Paul-Émile-Léger.

BULLETIN DE NOUVELLES

Montréal hanté est en mode hivernal : il n’y aura donc plus de visites publiques avant mai 2017. Les visites privées sont toujours disponibles pour des groupes de 10 personnes et plus, selon la disponibilité des acteurs et les conditions météo.
À l’approche de la saison des visites hantées, nous sommes ravis de vous annoncer que notre site et blogue seront mis à jour afin de les rendre plus maniables et conviviaux.
Nous planifions aussi un Promenade de Jane (an anglais) nommé le Quartier chinois hanté, explorant certains des sites et les mystères paranormaux de ce quartier historique de Montréal. Cette visite, gratuite pour ceux qui réservent leurs billets, sera offerte en début mai.
Enfin, nous sommes contents d’annoncer une bonne nouvelle pour la Saint-Patrick ! Donovan King, fondateur de Montréal hanté, a créé une nouvelle compagnie nommée les Excursions du Montréal irlandais (Irish Montreal Excursions), et fera visiter des sites d’intérêt dans la ville de Montréal et plus loin.
Les Excursions du Montréal irlandais offre présentement deux visites à pieds :
Le circuit de la Grande Famine d’Irlande à Montréal (en anglais).
Cette visite explore l’impact qu’a eu sur Montréal la famille irlandaise de 1847. L’excursion a lieu sur les sites de la Famine, en passant par les cimetières oubliés, les institutions religieuses, le canal Lachine, les ruines d’une église et la tristement célèbre Roche noire. À venir : les plans de la Fondation du Parc du Monument irlandais de Montréal pour sauver des forces industrielles le cimetière de la Famine
Quand : samedi le 18 mars à 9h00 (120 minutes).
Coût : 20.00 $ payable à la porte. Pour réserver vos billets par courriel irishmontrealexcursions@gmail.com
Où : L’excursion débute devant le musée Pointe à Callière (350 Place Royale) et finit à la Roche noire sur la rue Bridge.
Le circuit de l’Histoire des Irlandais à Montréal (en anglais)
Cette visite, dont le départ se fait devant le Old Dublin Pub, explore l’histoire des Irlandais à Montréal. L’excursion explore les sites historiques irlandais de Montréal, incluant les églises, les bars, les ruines d’un refuge, et des endroits oubliés comme le Little Dublin et Paper Hill. À venir : la connexion Bloomsday entre l’Ulysse de James Joyce et Montréal !
Quand : dimanche le 26 mars à 13h00 (120 minutes).
Coût : 20.00 $ payable à la porte. Pour réserver vos billets par courriel irishmontrealexcursions@gmail.com
Où : L’excursion débute devant le Old Dublin Pub (636 Cathcart Street) et finit à l’église Notre-Dame-de-Bonsecours (400 rue Saint Paul Est).
Les Excusions du Montréal irlandais planifie de développer d’autres excursions à l’avenir, comme la tournée des bars, les événements sportifs, la visite des cimetières et les visites en autocar à de tels sites, hors de Montréal.
Également, nous annoncerons une autre surprise dans le bulletin du mois prochain !
De plus, un gros merci à tous nos clients qui ont participé aux visites de Montréal hanté au cours de la saison 2016 ! Si vous avez aimé l’expérience, nous vous invitons à écrire une critique sur notre page Tripadvisor, quelque chose qui aide Montréal hanté à vendre ses visites. En somme, si vous voulez recevoir le blogue de Montréal hanté les 13 de chaque mois, n’hésitez pas à vous inscrire sur notre liste d’envoi.
À venir le 13 avril : Les bêtes invisibles de Montréal
Croyez-le ou non, la rumeur jappe qu’à Montréal deux
animaux domestiques invisibles ont fait maison : un chien et un chat. Au début
des 1970, Brian et Louise Grey et leurs quatre enfants ont connu un chat
invisible chez eux à Montréal. Étonnamment, le chat pouvait être entendu et
touché mais jamais vu. Dans une autre histoire, un garçon de Roxboro, une
banlieue de Montréal, adopta ce que ses parents croyaient être un ami imaginaire,
que le garçon nomma « Duke ». Il se fâchait si ses parents essayaient de
s’asseoir sur le divan quand « Duke » y était. Les parents l’acceptèrent au
début, lui reconnaissant une imagination hyper-active. Toutefois, ils eurent le
choc de leur vie quand un voisin les informa que la propriétaire d’avant était
morte dans un incendie avec son chien. Le nom du chien mort était « Duke ». Il
va sans dire que les animaux domestiques invisibles sont une partie intégrante du folklore hanté de Montréal. Seulement une question nous hante : pourquoi ?
Donovan King est un historien, enseignant et acteur professionnel. En tant que fondateur de Montréal hanté, il unit ses talents pour trouver les meilleures histoires de fantômes montréalais, et les livrer par l’écriture et le jeu d’acteur. King déteint un DEC (Interprétation, Collège John Abbot), BFA (Drama-in-Education, Concordia), B.Ed (Histoire et Enseignement de l’anglais, McGill) et une MFA (Études théâtrales, Université de Calgary). Il étudie actuellement pour obtenir une AEC (Guide touristique de Montréal, Institut de tourisme et d’hôtellerie du Québec).

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *